The South Bend Clinic is a healthcare provider that has been operating for over 100 years and supports the largest physician-owned, multi-specialty group in Indiana. Our mission is to provide exceptional patient-centered, physician-led, coordinated care to improve the health of our patients and community; and to provide equally exceptional career opportunities for our team members.
Hiring Departments: Pediatrics, Physical Medicine, Allergy, Endocrinology, Immediate Care Center, and others
POSITION: Medical Assistant/Licensed Practical Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Primary Care/Specialty Care
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
REVIEWED BY: Director of Dept Operations and Human Resources
REVIEW CATEGORY: Clinical Patient Care
REVISION DATE: 03/01/20
BENEFITS (Some only eligible for full-time employees):
- Medical Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 401(k), which, included below, can add up to 9% of total employer contribution
- Employer Match on contributions
- Discretionary Employer Profit Sharing contribution
- Employer Safe Harbor contribution
- Paid Time Off
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discounts
- Education Assistance
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs general nursing care to patients under supervision, including assisting with exams or procedures, patient education, and maintenance of medical records.
POSITION SUPERVISED: None.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides ongoing triage and management of office flow to meet patient’s medical and service needs in order to maintain optimal patient flow.
- Performs the technical component of the department’s clinical procedures competently.
- Documentation of all patient care is thorough, objective, concise, and follows appropriate legal guidelines.
- Communication of all patient care is thorough, objective, concise, and follows appropriate legal guidelines.
- Receives patients professionally in waiting area and rooms them per department protocol.
- Maintains accurate/current logs for equipment, i.e., refrigerator temp, autoclave, eyewash, crash cart, etc.
- Verifies patient insurance coverage for pre-certification, referrals and/or authorizations and documents in EMR.
- Applies knowledge of general insurance guidelines and requirements to help direct patient care.
- Appropriately responds to emergency situations.
- Cross trains in other positions where appropriate as determined by manager.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
Medical Assistant – Degree/diploma/certification in Medical Assisting or previous MA experience
LPN – LPN license in the State of Indiana
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Team player, professional, and customer service oriented. Proficient computer skills including EMR, highly organized, ability to multi-task and enjoy working in a very fast paced environment. Able to work with diverse patient base of all ages. Assist with clinical procedures specific to department. Perform basic back office skills including medication administration, injections, bandaging, and accurately collect height, weight, and BP. In addition, must be able to anticipate the needs of the physician and require minimal supervision. Prior experience is a plus.
ADA JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Medium Work – Exerting up to 50lbs of force occasionally, and/or up to 20lbs of force frequently, and/or up to 20lbs of force constantly to move objects.
Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading.
The worker is subject to hazards including moving mechanical parts, electricity, high places, or chemicals.