POSITION: Patient Service Representative
DEPARTMENT: Primary Care/Specialty Care/Ancillaries
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
REVIEWED BY: Practice Manager, Director of Department Operations and Human Resources
REVIEW CATEGORY: Non-Clinical Patient Care
REVISION DATE: 03/01/2020
POSITION SUMMARY: Represents the clinic by answering and making all necessary calls, computer scheduling of appointments, greeting, instructing and directing patients and visitors. Acts as liaison between patient and medical support staff. Prepares charge slips and/or medical records for patient visits as required.
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greets and welcomes patients/guests in person and/or on the phone in a professional, respectful, confidential manner.
- Utilizes computer system accurately/efficiently for patient registration, appointment scheduling, charge posting.
- Utilizes all functions of phone system in directing calls to appropriate staff or service areas, ensuring minimal transfers.
- Documentation is thorough, objective, concise, and follows appropriate legal guidelines.
- Communicates effectively with patients, staff, physicians, and other service areas, with professionalism and appropriate follow through, utilizing telephone, computer, and fax.
- Accurately and discreetly schedules, reschedules, cancels, and/or confirms patient appointments with provider per department protocols.
- Follows SBC Service Reimbursement Policies and utilizes up-to-date coding information.
- Accurately and consistently performs cashier functions, including collection of patient-owed dollars and balancing
the cash drawer.
- Observes department conditions and activities taking appropriate action to deliver a positive patient experience.
- Exhibits computer systems knowledge and proficiency as necessary to perform job functions.
- Demonstrates the attitudes and behaviors of The South Bend Clinic Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned when appropriate.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines set forth in Clinic policies and procedures.
Additional Responsibilities (Other departments as required):
- Develops, pulls, and retrieves charts in a timely manner for surgery scheduling.
- Responsible for completeness and accuracy of patient record. Files all patient records once complete while maintaining chart order.
- Prepares new patient charts.
- Communicates with Business Office patient information required for billing.
- Cross trains with surgery scheduling.
- Maintains good working relationships with all contacts.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. CPR certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must be a team player, professional, comfortable with computers and be customer service oriented. Excellent phone, people and organizational skills. Ability to pay attention to detail and efficiently multi-task in a highly productive clinical setting.
ADA JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Light Work – Exerting up to 20lbs of force occasionally, and/or up to 10lbs of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated light work.
Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading.
None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.