Find resources, professional associations, and news to prepare for your future in Pharmacy.
MedCerts has reached nationwide agreements with Pharmacies all over the country that will give Pharmacy Technician students an edge when preparing for the PTCE exam, and will set our graduates apart within the job market!
Students participating in the MedCerts Pharmacy Technician program receive comprehensive online instruction designed to lay a solid foundation of knowledge. The externship is the capstone of the Learning Experience, allowing the student to apply what they have learned in a real world environment. Most pharmacies have developed cutting edge training programs, which has been refined and perfected by the nation’s leading pharmacy chains. Students work closely with trained Pharmacists and Technicians, where a “hands-on” learning approach is applied. The Externship is 160 Hours in length, and is available at virtually every Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Genoa Health, Kroger, Albertsons and many other Pharmacy locations in the United States.
In addition to the comprehensive training through MedCerts, externs receive ASHP Accredited training from Externship Pharmacies that provides first-hand experience with the duties of a pharmacy technician and your responsibilities to the patient and their wellness. Externs will be exposed to cutting-edge pharmacy technology and will be trained by the best pharmacists in the industry.
Externs May Complete the Following Tasks Under Supervision:
- Assist patients dropping off prescriptions
- Assist patients picking up prescriptions, but cannot use the register
- Enter prescriptions into the computer while being supervised
- Enter patient’s insurance info into the computer
- Answer incoming phone calls and route to pharmacist when necessary
- Return outdated/damaged drugs under supervision
- Restock pharmacy shelves
- Check in daily medication replenishments under supervision
- Order medications from supplier daily under supervision
- Training from the best pharmacists in the industry.
- it’s estimated that 60-70% of current Pharmacy Technicians were hired after completing an externship
- The combination of school instruction, externship, and certification set you apart in the job market.
- Hands-on learning that can only be accomplished on the job.
- State-specific training to meet the requirements of State Board of Pharmacy.
- Externship Participants have a significantly higher pass rate on the PTCE Exam.
- 18 years old and high school diploma or GED
- Externships are currently ONLY available in the United States
- Externs must be available on a part-time basis (typically 25- 40 hours per week)
- There may be additional requirements on a store by store or ‘state by state’ basis, which will be presented to the student at the time of application or acceptance.
Application and Placement Instructions
When nearing the completion of your Pharmacy Technician program, you will be contacted by the Clinical Externship Coordinator with details on how to participate in the Externship. MedCerts will do its best to place an extern in their top choice, however, they cannot guarantee placement.
The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored the vital role that health care workers play and highlighted the industry’s ongoing labor shortage. In fact, the pandemic aggravated the labor crunch, as millions of workers — nearly one in five — left the health care …
Your resumé is the single most important document for getting noticed by a potential employer. Studies show that, on average, most hiring managers only spend about 6-7 seconds reading resumés, which makes creating an engaging resumé absolutely essential. While every …
You have the right skills, experience, and background, but no matter how many times you submit your resume for a role that looks to be a good fit, you're not getting any interviews. If this sounds familiar, know you're not …